Snowboard bindings for the freeride, boardercross, and carving community from Catek.

CATEK homepage catek direct | help zone | freeride | olympic | accessories | tech info | links | about catek
catek.com Forum Index
<  Soft Carving  ~  Can I Get Some Freeride Board Recommendations?
Roger
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

I currently ride a Burton BMC (166) that I'm thinking about replacing. I love the BMC (especially with my Freeride Pros aboard), but it's starting to show wear and tear. I am considering freeride boards as I love to carve but don't do pipe and park. I take my board anywhere in most conditions and would like the new board to be fast, hold well on ice but also be competent in powder and have good edge to edge transition speed. I've been looking at the Salomon Fastback and Forecast ERA and my ski shop guru tells me Burton is coming out with a new good Freeride board. I've also heard good things about some of the Atomics. I haven't ridden any of the above, though, so I'm looking for feedback on them or others that might do the job.
Thanks

Roger
Mike T
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of freeriding on tight-sidecut boards, as I find them lacking in the stability departmnet, and that's what you will get with Burton unless they reverse their recent trend toward shaping their freeride boards very similar to their freestyle boards. I demoed that Fastback several years ago, really liked it, but I just felt that board had a synthetic, metallic feel. No idea if that's changed over the past 3 years. My personal recommendation is the Donek Incline, wide or Sasquatch, if you are looking for something Fastback-like: even more carvy than the Fastback but with a more natural flex IMHO. Many light to mid-weight riders seem to think the Incline/Wide/Sasquatch are a bit much at low speeds and in tight places such as trees; I can see how that would be but for strong and/or heavy riders, or ones who prefer groomers and wide-open spaces, they are worth a look.

What's your height, weight, and boot size?

My freeride board is a Donek Wide 161. I am 5'10", 195 pounds, and use a size 8 Salomon Malamute from several years ago and Catek FR bindings outfitted with Salomon SPX6 straps and highbacks. (This is the pair I got used via lonerider and Ken Delrossi) Many would go with the Incline at my boot size, I don't like much overhang. I get 3/8" at all 4 corners. It e board has no trouble supporting my weight and I can lay some nice trenches in soft boots with it but still take it in the trees.

Hope you find that helpful, and if I can answer any specific quetsions post them here or use mt@tovino.com
Jim Callen
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:32 pm  Reply with quote

I've always been a big fan of Prior's boards. Their MFR would probably suit you. It's a great board that performs all over the mountain.

http://www.priorsnowboards.com/boards_mfr.php

They also have some used demo models available as well.

http://www.priorsnowboards.com/used_boards_list.php?BSTY_ID=6
sandman.21
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:39 am  Reply with quote

I ride the 200cm Rad-Air Tankers with the Catek Freeride's and they rock (IMHO). I like the float in powder, the speed and control on corduroy is outstanding and the boards are very quick turning and are used by quite a few carvers as their freeride/powder boards with plate bindings. The tankers are also very versatile in the sizes that are available (162, 167w, 172, 177w, 182, 187w, 192, and 200) so that they can meet a great deal of riders sizes and performance goals.
Additionally, the Doneks and Priors mentioned are great boards as well and if you really want to get a board dialed in for you check with having one custome made by either company.
Roger
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:44 pm  Reply with quote

Has anyone ridden either the Atomic Dreamraider or the Radon? Any opinions on them? Thanks

Roger
carvcanada
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

no one buy the red 165... it's mine! mine! Smile
OOBsnowboards
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

Roger,
I have a 161 Dreamraider and it's sick!!! Stiff, Snappy and very responsive!!! The sidecut gets tigher in the tail... makes for great exit out of turns!!! The nose allows for a ton of float in the pow and crud and it's tortional flex really lets it bite on icy days! We have a 170 here at the shop and my 161's up for sale... fresh race tune with a stone grind. Let me know if you're intrested!!!
D-Sub
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

www.steepwatersnowboards.com

big sidecuts, stiff boards (with a long, softer nose for pow), taper for stability. Well constructed and reasonably priced, especially now at the end of the season.

24.8 and 25.5 widths in various lengths up to 171
Trav
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

Burton Baron (If you have big feet)

Being a cross between freeriding and free style I really enjoy the Burton Baron. The board is smooth carving, holds an edge very well and has a little bit of snap.

If you have access to a demo I suggest you take a look at it.

http://www.burton.com/burton/gear/products.asp?productID=15

Trav
RJ-PS
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:07 am  Reply with quote

Agreed on the Tankers, but also look at the LSD.
It is a freeride monster.
Long sidecut on a short board, you can get a 156 or 164. They will do nice long carves and you can lay them out like you would an alpine board.
www.rad-air.com

Shred just posted a review on the website:
http://www.exoticboards.com/quotes.html
His is the last quote.

Biased opinion: Rad-Air is one of the best kept secrets in the industry.