Snowboard bindings for the freeride, boardercross, and carving community from Catek.

CATEK homepage catek direct | help zone | freeride | olympic | accessories | tech info | links | about catek
catek.com Forum Index
<  Soft Carving  ~  This is it!
Hitokiri
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

It was 10 years ago, I gave up my hard bindings and get into soft bindings, now I want to go back to my "roots" , however I just find out about Catek freestyle 20 min ago, is this a soft binding which is closest to a hard binding?

I wish I find about this few days earlier, I'll be in Whistler next week Confused ! Oh well, I'll be waiting for a second hand PRO for next season Very Happy .

By the way are there any suggested soft boots?

Cheers,

Hitokiri
swt
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Hitokiri, welcome aboard!

The Freeride and Freeride Pros definitely give a much more direct power transmission than other soft bindings. Particularly with the cant and lift options, the feel is can be very reminiscent of plates (particularly on groomers).

As for boots, I've used Vans Contra Boas and Burton Drivers with the Freerides. Another popular choice is the Salomon Malamute. Go for the best fit, not necessarily the stiffest boot -- your feet and your riding will thank you.
Hitokiri
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Swt,

What about Driver X or the Northwave concept, did you hear about those ones? It will be a challenge to find a store with all those boots to try Crying or Very sad

I heard some negative feedback from Boas what is your experience?

Did anyone tried these bindings with an Elan Vertigo 162?

And do you happen to know when the 05-06 model will be out for the freeride & Pro.

Hitokiri
swt
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:21 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the DriverX, and Northwaves don't fit my feet at all.

As for the Boa system, it was very robust and effective. The cable never slipped or broke for me. In general it seems functionally sound. However, I didn't like the fact that it very uniformally tightened the boot. This might be an advantage for some riders, but I like being able to have a bit of a differential between my lower lace tightness and the cuff tightness. Standard laces facilitate differential lacing -- the Boa makes it impossible.

CATEK's new year product usually rears its head around October/November, sometimes a bit sooner.
Hitokiri
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:49 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate. I bought mine bindings yesterday, however I won't be able to try them. Not only Whistler do not have snow, Jetsgo got bankrupted Evil or Very Mad So no snow, no flight.

Do you guys know any good hill on Ontario or Quebec border?

Cheers,
Hitokiri
carvcanada
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:35 pm  Reply with quote

on the border? not many great hills...

but 4hrs East of Ontario is Mont Sainte Anne which is great
or 4 hrs south-east you have Sugarbush and Stowe which are REALLY great

and even more south you have Stratton and Killington