Snowboard bindings for the freeride, boardercross, and carving community from Catek.

CATEK homepage catek direct | help zone | freeride | olympic | accessories | tech info | links | about catek
catek.com Forum Index
<  Soft Carving  ~  SPX55 highback and straps on catek freerides
carvcanada
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

Hey, now, SPX55 winged highbacks and straps on the catek freerides would be the ultimate set-up in terms of all around versatility and power, especially coupled with Malamutes.
I picked up a pair of SPX55's for a powder board, and started to realize the possibilities... when the Freeride 2's come out the SPX55 parts will surely go on them.

It's a bit of a complex mod though, requiring some rare parts, mainly for the toe straps. Does anyone know of any other beastly straps that are more easily compatible? I think SPX55's are the only ones that just are meant to go on Cateks.
oh well, when it's done I'll post pics next fall
www.oldsnowboards.com
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:27 pm  Reply with quote

First , I do want to make a couple general statements in regards to the Catek Free Pro Bindings and "Mods".

1) I think they are likely the burliest, most adjustable, best built soft binding on the planet.
2) The bindings. as Jeff has designed. them work very well and modifications to them are done with the understanding that they may or may not improve performance and void warranty.

Whew! Now that being said:

I ride the bindings and appreciate their performance, yet they share a common issue with all two strap bindings (in my opinion).
Power transmission to the toe side similar to or as powerful as the heel side.
I have seen a number of mods that added a 3rd strap and I am interested in persuing this concept. In addition or in concert with locking the highback down so it can not move forward while transfering power to the toe side.

The comments about the Salmon bindings highback is of interest. In part because I am looking for the ideal highback that can be locked down and will be condusive to adding a "3rd strap".

All constructive comments would be welcome.

Please , no I am not looking to debate the value of these mods.

Thanks, Bryan

Mike T
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:49 am  Reply with quote

I had a set of the original Catek FR with Salomon SPX6 straps and highbacks on them. It worked very, very well performance wise. The only reason I sold them was that the heel cup on the FR was digging into my heel a bit and causing a problem. If the FR2 has a more ergonomic heel cup I will probably try 'em sometime.