Snowboard bindings for the freeride, boardercross, and carving community from Catek.

CATEK homepage catek direct | help zone | freeride | olympic | accessories | tech info | links | about catek
catek.com Forum Index
<  Soft Carving  ~  Freeride straps
Budge
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:20 pm  Reply with quote

I am riding the Catek freerides with Salomon Malamutes on a Volkl Cross but I find the straps over my instep painful. I previously had 3-strap bindings so it could be that they relieved the pressure so that the problem was not evident. Would the upgrade to the Freeride Pro straps help alleviate this problem? What other straps might work well. I live in Canada and am somewhat reluctant to buy the upgrade straps and pay the exorbitant border expenses, only to find that the problem remains. I like how the bindings perform and would really like to solve the pain issue. I would be interested in hearing what other people have done or receiving pictures. A 3-strap Freeride would really be the ticket!
swt
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

Budge:

I have to think that the Pro strap upgrade would solve the problem for you. I use both the Freeride and the Freeride Pro. The upgraded straps on the Pro definitely distribute the pressure more comfortably and over a larger area. They give more of a sense of being locked in -- even without cranking the straps. The uniformity of the strap pressure with the Pro straps really is nice.

swt
Keith
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

Buge,
I put togeather a great 3 strap for my pros. The third strap give unreal support, never felt anything like it. I use mine all the time.
Keith
Budge
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply swt. I was hoping to avoid shipping across the border. $69 is cheap for the straps but I end up paying nearly as much again for shipping and customs clearance Surprised( Are there other straps that would work as well?

Keith
Do you have pictures of your 3-strap mods that you could post. My highbacks broke on my old Burtons, or I would still be using them.

Budge
Keith
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

My 3 strap solution will fit just about any binding. It is totally removable and soft, so you can remove them and put them in your pocket !. They are constructed from straps. The high back is locked in place by two straps that go over the high back and loop under the metal heal section of the binding, either side of the forward lead adjustor. An ankle strap is attached to the top of the high back by stitching it to the other two staps. The forward lean is still fully adjustable. I use a velcro fastened boot strap with a buckle to pull on. I find this is great to get out of quick. If you use the system and pull it up hard, it takes all the pressure from the other straps.

check out the attachments

Keith

PB050174.JPG
 Description:
photo
 Filesize:  149.76 KB
 Viewed:  1485 Time(s)

PB050174.JPG

PB050171.JPG
 Description:
photo
 Filesize:  142.35 KB
 Viewed:  1477 Time(s)

PB050171.JPG

PB050173.JPG
 Description:
photo
 Filesize:  133.29 KB
 Viewed:  1472 Time(s)

PB050173.JPG

glaucus atlanticus
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:06 am  Reply with quote

Excelent work on that Keith.

Is it all home-made? Shocked

Looks very professional.

Keith
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

Yep, all home made from various straps from the DIY store. Just add super glue and thread, sore fingers and three cans of beer !.
Keith
www.oldsnowboards.com
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:48 am  Reply with quote

Brilliant. Do you mind if I post your photos in my gallery??

I am thinking about creating a gallery on binding Mods.

I love the 3 strap bindings since WAY BACK.

Very clever. Bryan at www.oldsnowboards.com

shack
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

I don't quite get how the straps attach to the top of the bindings. I'm thinking of trying to add some lateral support to my flows, and your design looks interesting, but I don't understand how the straps stay up...
Keith
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

The ankle strap is held in place by the two vertical straps that are tightened around both the high back and the rear of the binding, (over the top and down between the boot and high back)

The strap solution wraps around the high back and the heal section of the binding locking it solid and adding strength the high back to preventing bending as you lean in.

The problem with fitting it to the flow is that there is nothing to strap down to ! and the high back will tilt as you lean and the stap will slip up and off.

I used flows for around 4-5 seasons. Get some Catek free rides and fit the third strap and find out how good it is. You wont use flows again