Snowboard bindings for the freeride, boardercross, and carving community from Catek.

CATEK homepage catek direct | help zone | freeride | olympic | accessories | tech info | links | about catek
catek.com Forum Index
<  Soft Carving  ~  Freeride Pro - fitting cap straps
MacG-spot
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:39 am  Reply with quote

Hi guys, has anyone had any experience of fitting Burton Cap straps (and for that matter ankle straps) to the Catek FRPros? I need some extra comfort across the toes and am thinking of modifying.

Also has anyone ridden FRPro's with a Burton Fish in the pow? The Fish 156 HD is perfect for me. The cateks might be overkill in the pow on such a short board...? I like a slashy / surf feel...

I went from a stiff freeride set up last season to a freestyle set up this season but Burton Cartel bindings feel so 'humph' compared to my Cateks with some nice juicy cant to get my tootsies onto! The cartels are lighter and the straps are better for me than the nidecker ones but there is no comparison when getting on the rail. Also i notice the big baseplates / binding base on the Cartels affect board flex. I think its a tight one for freestyle set up.

Cartels - light, comfortable straps
Cateks - adjustable, react instantly, cant and lift options, true board flex, (comfortable once I've pillaged the cartels)

so weight is really the only disadvantage left and that they need 'expert' precision as they are so responsive.

I have heard of people riding catek FRPros in park and pipe? My FSboard is super-snappy twin and good all mountain too when the bindings are set up for it..

Any plans to make the Catek FS Pros Jeff?
Keith
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:51 am  Reply with quote

I can help you with Cap straps and ankle straps. I am using an ankle strap shown on a previous thread. (see freeride straps) Ive now fitted caps.

The caps work quite well pushing you boot back, the effect is really snug.
I suffer from wide feet, and too much toe stap pressure causes pain. The cap strap holds the boot down well with no real pressure. Having said that, with the ankle strap i can ride without toe strap with no major loss of power.
(feels quite weird!)

The one draw back is on hard toe side carvec, the rear strap can dig a little.

I shall be keeping them on, they look good and add a little more hold.

One other mod for this year has been to over rotate my front foot high-back by setting full off-set, bending the heal cage to be off set by three holes and submerging the assembled binding in very hot water to reshape the high back to fit the heal cage. Then applied more twist to the high back while cooling !!.

The bindings are solid, and my boot nailed ! at last ive managed tight lay-down carves in soft boots.

Keith

P3150275.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  147.79 KB
 Viewed:  1396 Time(s)

P3150275.JPG

P3150274.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.6 KB
 Viewed:  1380 Time(s)

P3150274.JPG

P3150272.JPG
 Description:
Cap and ancle strap
 Filesize:  150.3 KB
 Viewed:  1404 Time(s)

P3150272.JPG

MacG-spot
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Keith - they look sweet..

Re. below * - I might have to think about this with the bindings in my hand.... It depends on stance angles too but this mod sounds quite permanent..

*"One other mod for this year has been to over rotate my front foot high-back by setting full off-set, bending the heal cage to be off set by three holes and submerging the assembled binding in very hot water to reshape the high back to fit the heal cage. Then applied more twist to the high back while cooling !!. "

With ankle strap i didn't mean extra leg strap but to take off the nidecker one and put the leather burton ones on.. tho I'm sure the ankle strap adds support too. eek. couldnt imagine without toestrap...

its a bit of a weird set of questions I ask - as if I dont know whether I want to ride freestlye or freeride but the power to the edge just feels so puney after riding pro's. to be expected I know but Catek has done too good a job and esp. on the toeside nothing else comes close!

I ride a 160 FR board and pretty normal sidecut and effective edge for the length but i can almost fully lay down a carve on the right piste after one season with the set up. its fun when you tear past a race board laying it down and get a glance at their suprised face.. esp. when you pop to fakie