Snowboard bindings for the freeride, boardercross, and carving community from Catek.

CATEK homepage catek direct | help zone | freeride | olympic | accessories | tech info | links | about catek
catek.com Forum Index
<  Soft Carving  ~  FR2
110/220V
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:43 am  Reply with quote

Well...here it is.

I can't find a proper link for the preorder mentioned on the FR2 header page.

Also, is this a preorder without a visual? Or is there a link on the changes to the binding?

I understand there was a question on the site RE: disc kits for the OS2 and FR2s...or are the OS2/FR2 bindings/bales compatible with the OS/FR disc kits?
110/220V
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:06 am  Reply with quote

Anyone?

110/220
swt
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

Did you notice that the Freeride page was updated?

It now indicates the following:
CATEK is pleased to announce that we have taken the opportunity to incorporate significant new technology into both the FR2 and FR2 Pro models.

More information about the FR2s will be forthcoming as we finalize the product details. Both FR2 models now will be available for purchase in the Fall of 2006.

Thanks for bearing with us as we build the best bindings possible. The FR2s will definitely be worth the wait.

I can't imagine that the pre-order option will come online without lots more specifics about and images of the FR2.
110/220V
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:45 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply swt...I did notice the header.

I also understand there is a reduction of standup height for the OS2s as compared to the OS1s...will the Freeride suffer the same result? Many Master SkiRacers tend to fixate on risers/lifts...but the Freeride should not risk a lower profile, as the mechanics of a dynamic turning technique necessitate the higher profile/lift.

Hopefully, CATEK will retain the current profile in case the added weight of the discs warrant a revision of the upper bale. Will the OS2 and the FR2 share the same disc design/compatiblility? This will of course remain a key selling-point for either the soft or hardbooter alike.

I am curious if anyone has tried to mount the OS1 bodies on the OS2 discs: this was the biggest hassle I found with the OS1 or FR1 for that matter...

I am sure there are many customers out there who would settle for the added stainless-steel weight of the OS2 disc, as opposed to the OS1 alum-machined disc if given the upgrade for the FR2 or the OS2...(?)

As I don't have a set of the OS2s, I must direct the OS1/OS2 disc-compatibility question to another customer...

110/220
swt
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:26 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
I also understand there is a reduction of standup height for the OS2s as compared to the OS1s...will the Freeride suffer the same result?

The OS2 does have a lower possible stack height than the OS1 -- this is a boon to riders who like to have their bindings as close to the board as possible. However, Jeff didn't forget riders who like lots of lift and/or cant. In fact, the OS2 ships with 2 sets of kingpins, 1 set short and 1 set long, plus multiple kingpin spacers to allow tons of user latitude in set-up. The OS2 offers more adjustability than the OS1 did in this regard. I can't imagine that the FR2 will give up any lift range, and it might offer more.

Quote:
Will the OS2 and the FR2 share the same disc design/compatiblility? This will of course remain a key selling-point for either the soft or hardbooter alike.

From what I understand the FR2 will share the new disc/power plate design with the OS2. As such, they should be interchangable just like the OS1/FR1 series bindings.

Quote:
I am curious if anyone has tried to mount the OS1 bodies on the OS2 discs

Not me. It would require that the OS1 plate be really lifted to clear the power plate. The underside of the OS2 plate is extensively machined to share the same vertical space as the power plate. If you like serious binding lift the OS1 plate/OS2 disc combo might work, but it would likely require non-stock tilt screws and kingpins and I'm sure it's not a set-up sanctioned/supported/warranted by Catek. You could email Jeff and ask him though.

Quote:
I am sure there are many customers out there who would settle for the added stainless-steel weight of the OS2 disc, as opposed to the OS1 alum-machined disc if given the upgrade for the FR2 or the OS2...(?)

Ummm...the OS2 is substantially lighter than the OS1. There is no weight penalty -- the added stainless steel is only the tilt screw cups that are pressed into the aluminum power plate (extra strength and durability exactly where needed without adding unnecessary grams). The mounting disc is still aluminum. The power plate is aluminum. The binding plate is aluminum.