Snowboard bindings for the freeride, boardercross, and carving community from Catek.

CATEK homepage catek direct | help zone | freeride | olympic | accessories | tech info | links | about catek
catek.com Forum Index
<  Soft Carving  ~  Freeriders Pro & Malamutes 04/05
slava
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:23 am  Reply with quote

Bros!
Do anyone have any positive/negative feedback on the sweet couple - subj - or any thoughts to share.
My major interst is the heel cup and highback fit with the boot's heel?
Have a pair of boots and going to purchase Pros.
Thanks in advance.
lonerider68
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

slava wrote:
Bros!
Do anyone have any positive/negative feedback on the sweet couple - subj - or any thoughts to share.
My major interst is the heel cup and highback fit with the boot's heel?
Have a pair of boots and going to purchase Pros.
Thanks in advance.

Hey Slava, the Cateks are an excellent pair of bindings. I know three people other who ride Malamutes with the Freerides (two Regular, one with the Pros) and they all seem to have no problem with the fit of the heelcup and the highback (although I think all of them have size 7-9 boots so if you have big feet it might be different). I rode ThirtyTwo Forecasts with the Freerides and in terms of heelcup/highback - thought the fit was good - I did notice that the heelcup is a bit high and narrow... since I only have size 8 feet with narrow it gave me a nice snug fit (the heelcup would leave an imprint on the outside of my boot) - but I could definitely see it jarring people with wider ankles. If you are looking for the most responsive, powerful binding you will probably ever ride these are it. I'm only 5'8" 150 lbs, so I found them to be a little heavy in the park (not dramatically so though so you might not notice it - especially if you are bigger than me).
Mike T
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

Definitley a great combo! I use the 01/02 Malamutes, size 8, with Catek Freeride bidnings, with a Salomon SPX6 highback and strap set. I have the same comment as lonerider about the heel cup being a bit high. It can be a bit jarring than usual on a rough landing, that's about it; I might try some padding and duct-tape sometime. But I'd rather apply some duct-tape to these bidnings than use myold Salomons, these are more respondive and the ability to lift the heel on the back foot make me more comfortable and I don't get tired as quickly.
Roger
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

I too ride Freeride Pros with Malamutes and I definitely experienced a problem. My boots are size 10 1/2 and after around 8 days with that combination I discovered that the bindings were ripping into the sides of my boots. The culprit was the end of the highback where the bolt goes through. It has a u shaped opening and that cut into the shell of the boots. I filed down that piece of plastic (and Shoe Gooed the wear spots in the boots). Problem solved. I'm glad I discovered it when I did as my boots would have been ruined. The combination of the Malamutes and Freerides, however, generates an awesome ride!

Roger
slava
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:43 am  Reply with quote

Hi again!

Thanks everybody for the replies.

Frankly, the day I wrote my note I found Pros in a local store and found the fit pretty good.
In no doubt I put the money on the desk (btw $400!) and tried all the new stuff next day.
Actually it was a double premier - Malamutes, Pros with Apo (ex a-snowboards) Source 166 04/05 and AF700 intec, Olympics intec with Hot Blast SL 160 03/04 (my first hardbooting! Smile.

It was a hot night screwing all the screws on 2 boards (until 5 a.m. Smile and a tough riding day I would say!

My first impressions are like that.
Mala-Pros - rock-solid solution with no question - got what expected and paid for.
Some comment on the bindings.
When on stright legs - at the end of the slope on the way to the lift - all the bumps go directly into my stomack.
Heel padding is a must!
Current setup of the plate makes this an engineering challenge.
Straps are funny but grip well - no need to overtighten (otherwise painspots on the toestrap directly under the buckle appear).

Another question from my site - what's the length of the gas pedal of S, M & L - Jeff, maybe You can answer? Seems that I got S with my 11 size(!), but it fits pretty well instead with the sole and I didn't experience inconveniences during the ride by now. But maybe I'm missing my real luck with the right length pedal?
Would appreciate any answer.
lonerider68
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

slava wrote:
Hi again!

Thanks everybody for the replies.

Frankly, the day I wrote my note I found Pros in a local store and found the fit pretty good.

Some comment on the bindings.
When on stright legs - at the end of the slope on the way to the lift - all the bumps go directly into my stomack.
Heel padding is a must!

Current setup of the plate makes this an engineering challenge.
Straps are funny but grip well - no need to overtighten (otherwise painspots on the toestrap directly under the buckle appear).

But maybe I'm missing my real luck with the right length pedal?
Would appreciate any answer.

Actually I too found that the Freerides were a bit jarring on bumpy snow as the plates give you very "lively" feel to the board. I was riding them on a Donek Incline, which is a very lively board in itself, I'm only 150 lbs (I was total <170 is "lightweight") and everyone else I know hasn't noticed that the jarring nature of the bindings on hard, bumpy spring snow. I too wanted a heel padding, so I ended up switching to a pair of Nidecker 800 Pros which have a EVA foam dampening pad between the board and the base plate. I reawlly liked the Freerides, but I do a LOT of jumps and non-groomed riding with my freeride board and the Nideckers seem to handle bumpy, frozen slush on boiler plate type condition a lot better. I do lose some of heelside power though. I would definitely look at the Freerides again after a generation or two of design tweaking (really want the foam pad!). There are very close (freerides) to hardboot riding.

As for the toeramps, I think in general the short/medium ones are plenty long. I know people with size 10-11s that use the short ramps.
Roger
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

Slava,
Did your Pros come with the toestrap "extension"? I was extremely skeptical about it's ability to center the strap when I first received it. I fully intended to replace the toe straps with my Salomons. I figured I'd try it for a day. Turns out, they've worked out great. Because it has fore/aft movement now, the toe strap can be placed directly over the toe of my Malamutes (and never moves). You mentioned you felt pressure from the buckle. The extension keeps that from happening (at least on my 10 1/2s).
Keep an eye on the sides of your boots, though. As I posted earlier, I had holes worn into the sides of my boots. I didn't notice it until the damage was done. Look at the ends of the highback mounts where they contact the boot. You might want to consider filing them down (especially if you notice a dent in the side of the boot).

Roger