Snowboard bindings for the freeride, boardercross, and carving community from Catek.

CATEK homepage catek direct | help zone | freeride | olympic | accessories | tech info | links | about catek
catek.com Forum Index
<  Soft Carving  ~  size 13 with freerides?
glaucus atlanticus
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:05 am  Reply with quote

ok, I`m just starting the freeride/soft boot carve thing.

I bought a radair reto lamm lsd board and I want to put some freeride bindings on it , but........I have heard a little about the freerides not being very friendly to people with yeti feet. I have size 13 boots

Are my concerns founded at all or should i just bite the bullet and buy some freerides?

If the freerides won`t go well with big boots do you have any suggestions for the next best thing to catek bindings?

glaucus atlanticus
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:00 am  Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

Come on,
PLEASE,
There must be someone somewhere, that has an opion about size 13`s in the freerides.

someone.......

anyone......
Rolling Eyes

110/220V
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:53 am  Reply with quote

Your boot size is much too big to effectively solve your binding problem...You should consider the reason you are intent on this boot size: is the issue 'walking shoe' comfort, or rather any particular foot geometry.

You need to determine the smallest shell (without the mfr. liner) that will accommodate your barefoot, you will need to push your foot toward the toebox without curling your toes. You will need to check the space between the heel and the inner heel of the shell. If you have at least 1/4 inch between your heel and the remainder of the shell, you can then easily customize an aftermarket performance liner to work for the shell.

Any reputable ski shop (in a ski town NOT in the city) is perhaps the best route for custom bootfit, rather than any 'Uncle Joe Snowboard Shop.' If you are even considering performance--whether binding X or the CATEK--you need to move away from the big snowboard boot sizes as these sizes are extremely unecessary with boot fitting technology of today.

I have never tried to fit a large boot as 13 into the Freeride, but in the event this is possible, you still sacrifice the proper feel/edging necessary with dynamic turns; even with a 1" lift, you will need to rely on proper angulation of the knee as well as body positioning to put the board on edge toward the bottom of the turn...the focus is clearance more than the stiffness of the binding. If you are sliding your turns, or recreating, you may not really enjoy the stiffness of the CATEK. I am told the CATEKS 'look cool,' but despite the core industry and magazine ads, we are not really here to look cool, yea?

Trust that the TOP riders understand custom bootfitting is a necessary part of finding the support at the weakest link of the system. You may not endeavor to participate at a World Cup level, but focus should be directed toward the performance of all your equipment together, and not just a larger size binding to accommodate a boot size that can easily be scaled down with a bit of effort and some green.

There is no reason CATEK binding will not suit you if you make some effort to scale down this ridiculous size...and if you go with any co. marketing to the larger boot sizes (Flow, etc?), you are simply avoiding the problem for some other reason than performance.

I hope this info helps, I normally would not reply...but in order to assist, I think the above is worth consideration, yes? You need to constantly evaluate whether X equipment suits your method of riding...ask 'Does this size enable me to perform to the best of my ability/potential?', 'Does this equipment compliment my ability?' You must be honest with yourself despite friends, CATEK forums, or peer riders. Your concern must be TOP performance regardless of the brand mark. There is enough positioning in the industry.

Regardless of the binding you will use, say you now have all the equipment you want. Reconsider the weakest link in your riding...is it the boot, the binding, the board...or tech.?

Once the boot/binding interface is solved, any remaining problem will result from your training. This is easily solved with specialized coaching and of course mileage! Then it REALLY becomes fun!
lonerider68
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:31 pm  Reply with quote

glaucus atlanticus wrote:
Crying or Very sad

Come on,
PLEASE,
There must be someone somewhere, that has an opion about size 13`s in the freerides.

someone.......

anyone......
Rolling Eyes

My word, you are being whiny... realize that there is a total of 100 members in this forum, most of which do not visit this forum regularly (especially since it is summer in the Northern Hemisphere).. Ontop of that I think only around a dozen people here who own Freerides (versus Catek's plate bindings)... hence no, no one has giant feet like yours - otherwise we would have *replied*... Seriously, it is annoying when people asked a highly specific question that few people are qualified to answer and then get upset that no one answers. Would you have been happy if I had said

"Well I have size 7.5 feet... and I think you have too big feet for the metal heelcup... trying sizing down into a size 12 (most people wear boot too loosely) and get a slimmer profile boot like the Salomon F-series or ThirtyTwo brand, which will give you another .5-1 size down... then you will be riding a size 11 which a couple of people have ridden with Freerides). Although I know someone with size 10 feet and found the heelcup too narrow... so who knows..." but of course I've already said all of this before and you've already read it...

If you want more info... what don't you just email Jeff Caron at Catek and ask for his opinion, he's not going to lie to you or anything.
glaucus atlanticus
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:22 am  Reply with quote

Very Happy
Thanks for the feedback guys, it is really appreciated Exclamation

I did not mean to offend anyone with my whinging for a reply, Sorry.

I will look into getting custom boot fitting with all that has been suggested. At the same time though, I have got really big feet!

I am only two seasons old, and so still a complete "know nothing" newbie, please forgive my ignorance that may come across as arogance. Sad

I saw some guys carving at one resort I went to in japan and coming from a carving style surfing background, I instantly knew that this is the direction I want to take my snowboarding.

Again thank you for the input from people who have construtive advice, I will make the effort to be of better manner next time.

I`ll see what I can do in the boot dept. and then get back to catek Very Happy .

Lukas
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:37 am  Reply with quote

Hello!
I'm from Russia.
I have 13 size of boot and i riding with Catek freeride pro.
Boots - Salomon Malamute.
I feel my F2 Eliminator LTD very sharp with Catek & Malamute!!!

glaucus atlanticus
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:23 am  Reply with quote

Lukas- Stoked to hear from another big foot.

I went to a full hardboot set-up this year but will pick up a pair of the new cateks when they`re ready. Cool

I also managed to size down my Malamuts to a 12. No big difference, but I`m told it all helps in the long run. Wink

babaloo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:43 am  Reply with quote

Just checked onto the Catek site to order some replacement straps for my Freeride bindings when I noticed this post on the forum.
The main reason I purchased the Catek Freeride bindings was because of their ability to balance my heel and toe overhang. The Catek Freeride binding was the only binding on the market that I could find that had the range of adjustment on the highback to accomplish this. I have had no problems with the bindings until last week when one of the toe straps broke (the're 3 to 4 years old and I ride an average of 4-5 days a week).
My next pair of bindings are going to be the Freeride II's.

Board: Gnu Carbon High Beam 167W

Boots: Salomon F size 13
Bigfoot
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:53 am  Reply with quote

I have used some burly size 13 boots and they were a very tight fit in the Catek FR bindings but they worked. This year I bought Atomic size 12.5 and the boots are more compact than the Burtons I had. Compare boots and find the product with the most compact shape for your foot size. The liners do pack out over time as well.
glaucus atlanticus
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:00 am  Reply with quote

So, it's been many a full moon since I've posted here.
I've probably done about a million metres of vertical in that time and I'm happy to say I've become quite the proficent carver.
I ended up buying and then selling a pair of freeride bindings. The original models didn't work at all well with my boots. I would hasten to add though that I've heard that problem has been resolved.

I moved on to flow bindings, which I have found to be far better for me than any of the softboot bindings I have tried (yes, I've tried a few).

What I'm wanting now is some freeride bindings set-up with a strap set-up like flows use. What do you think? Would you buy a set of "rear entry" freeride bindings? I know I would, the added benifits of that system coupled with the "freeride" binding concept could well be the next big leap forward for sooftboot carving...

Peace out and carve on!